The Alzheimer's Caregiver Can Become the Patient


In some cases, adult-child caregivers with siblings feel resentful if they must bear the brunt of their parent's care ... If the adult-child caregiver is the only sibling living in the same city as the parent he or she often feels isolated, overwhelmed and under appreciated.

Previously I wrote, Where are the Alzheimer's Caregiver Helpers? 

The Alzheimer's caregiver can become the patient. I don't think this is well known by families of caregivers. 
Over the last few years I heard too many stories of caregivers going it alone while their family looks on. Patting the caregiver on the back while you sit on your butt is not enough. 

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that caregiving needs to be done in teams. Don't get me wrong here, I do know families that work together when someone becomes ill; but, this seems to be the exception rather then the rule. 
How else can you explain why more than 60 percent of stand alone Alzheimer's caregivers say they need help?

No comments:

Post a Comment